Saturday, May 12, 2007

hubris

an experiment with compressed rhyme inspired by a pompous hostess

Pure ego, unbowed, leaves you dumbstruck and cowed,
and I
own this crowd;
and it
is avowed
that I'm smart 'cause I'm loud.

My powers come from a rare mutation--a chronic need for your adoration
I'm the leader, you are grateful nation; I'm Toussaint and you are a Haitian;
Drape my statues with decoration: lace and laurel, cause that's your station
(and
spare me the indignation--
this is no two-way conversation,
it's a clandestine operation
where I locate your lacerations
and
drink
your
blood).

My esteem needs to propagate, I'm alive when I dominate
See, I'm trying to compensate for my cranial empty plate.
Though I binge, I can never sate;
All I see is a self-portrait.

That's why I'm garrulous.
I think I'm clever but I'm querulous.
I always talk but I don't discuss; I bang on but I don't percuss.
This self-love's so lascivious, when you speak I'm oblivious.

When I state what is obvious, you're expected to make a fuss:
Treat my words like a grand opus
Thus
Make my breathing less frivolous.
If you are envious you may call me imperious, you could point to my arrogance,
but your words are transient
and mine
go
on.

This room is my circus tent.
Main event: verbal flatulence
endless tales of my youth misspent will distract from my indolence.
I say nothing so adamant you can't see that it makes no sense.
Gentlemen call me "radiant" as I spew out contaminants--
virulent strains of ignorance,
anecdotes flow inordinate
I see weakness in reticence
and
I
pounce.

I enthrall with the gall of my words' urban sprawl
and you're caught in the squall of my rapid recall
and
fire.

Though you pall when I bawl like to crack the drywall
I still need to hold all of your rolling eyeballs
on
me.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

I just love this piece - it completely cracks me up. Open Mic, anyone?