Monday, August 13, 2007

this house





A kind of miracle.
I may never pay it off;
But as long as I can scrape
to make the note,
we’ll never drift:
never be at someone else’s mercy.

A single mom is expected
to raise her kids
without a yard,
sharing bedrooms.
Mine will not suffer
for their parent’s mistakes.
I promised myself that when he left.

They have new clothes,
a fridge that's almost always full;
we go out to dinner sometimes.
They take piano lessons.
They'll never want
for anything.
I will keep this promise.

The hours are long;
but I can work at home.
They don’t have to be alone,
wear keys around their necks,
wake themselves up.

I can still be here
when they really need me.
I put band-aids on their cuts,
hold them when they cry,
take care of them.
A filthy cage.
She works all day for the money
to keep it, worries all night
that it won't be enough.
The filth builds.
These walls will fall in on us one day.

Her glassy eyes, her slack jaw.
Hunched over the keyboard,
she sends me outside,
or to my room.
I want to talk to her,
So I sit on this patch of carpet
Under her desk, listening to her type.

Wearing cheap clothes and
eating cereal with the black and white label:
it's embarrassing.
She wasted money on that old piano,
when I just want
nice clothes;
I want brand name food.

All she does is work.
I think she suffers
from being alone all the time.
Mornings, she screams up the stairs,
like she’s too weak to climb them.

I sit under her desk.
Her knees press my shoulder.
I listen to the keys click overhead.
Once, I cut myself on purpose
so she would bend down to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many parents ever consider their child's perspective.
Excellent work!!